We are the only university at a nationwide level with an academic program that brings together both classic humanities and social sciences: Bachelor of Humanistic and Social Studies. Our professors hold Doctoral degrees in Philosophy, Arts, Social Sciences, Sociology, History, and Theology. As a result of this remarkable faculty and programs, the UDEM is recognized in Mexico as the premier university for the humanities.
Throughout the academic program, students are in contact with renowned national and foreign writers and philosophers. Our undergraduates have been very successful students of master degrees and doctorates in foreign institutions, including The University of Connecticut, Universidad de Barcelona, Université d'Aix-en- Provence, Katholleke Universiteit Leuven, The London School of Economics, University of California-Los Angeles, Universidad de Navarra, and Yale University.Objective
To shape professionals with a solid, interdisciplinary base in literature, philosophy, arts, sociology, and history. We help our students to acquire an integral and consistent interpretation of reality by providing them with the necessary general knowledge to carry out social improvement proposals in response to the needs of 21st century society. The end goal is to enrich society’s material and human progress with the strengthening of its spiritual values, such as cultural, artistic, social, business, and ethical values, to make for better private and public institutions.
The Humanistic and Social Studies program, together with the Philosophy program, the Literature program, and the Sociology program make up the UDEM’s Associated Bachelors of Humanities model. We are the only university in Mexico that combines the traditional humanities with the social sciences. Advantages of the UDEM's Associated Bachelors Model:
Student Learning Outcomes
- The first humanistic-studies related degree model in Mexico, it enables you to combine and delve into the areas of philosophy, literature, sociology, art, and history.
- You can pursue a double degree with just one and a half years of additional instruction.
- An outstanding faculty, holding doctorates and master's degrees, backed by their intellectual work in the scholarly and artistic areas of the humanities.
- A highly competitive international exchange program that has more than 580 agreements with universities and guarantees the international competitiveness of our graduates.
- A permanent and highly-updated guidance program for professional internships, social service, and national and international artistic and cultural exchange.
- Extensive experience in individually guided study that reflects the highly specialized level of our students and professors and the UDEM’s attention to individual education.
- A two semester interdisciplinary final project (PEF) that must excel in both theoretical and practical aspects. This extensive “senior thesis” consolidates and develops our interdisciplinary ideal.
- Develop proposals to respond to the needs and problems of the 21st Century society and/or current Latin American society’s problems which will enhance the material and human progress of public and private communities and institutions by strengthening or indistinctively proposing the spreading of its cultural, artistic, social, business and ethical values within a globalized context.
- Develop the skills to create competitive and interdisciplinary projects in humanities and social sciences, containing the methodology and contents which are necessary to achieve a wide range of improvement on research, creation or projects which, at the same time, could be able to be recipient of financing funds intended to carry them out.
- Planning and executing interdisciplinary projects in humanities and social sciences, aimed at making an impact, whether in specialization courses, conference presentations, magazine publications, project creations, or else, to serve as a working example when applying to creation and research graduate programs in humanities.