The Medical Doctor Program at Universidad de Monterrey is delivered primarily in Spanish, and has been carefully designed to be aligned with our mission of developing highly skilled healthcare professionals, deeply rooted in humanistic values and unwavering ethical commitment. At the forefront of medical education, the MD program embodies adaptability and innovation, shaping students to become symbols of excellence and service in global healthcare.
We have a cutting-edge Clinical Simulation Center, where students develop essential skills through lifelike medical scenarios, ensuring exceptional academic training at the forefront of technology.
Our MD program is designed to provide students with well-rounded capabilities; our curriculum enables students to provide high-quality general medicine care to diverse populations, both in individual and collective contexts.
Engage in an exceptional clinical experience with national and international opportunities. Our students participate in medical practice in renowned hospitals such as IMSS, ISSSTE, Ministry of Health Hospitals, Christus Muguerza, Hospital Clínica Nova, Hospital Ángeles Valle Oriente, as well as affiliated institutions in the United States, Spain, and other countries. These experiences foster deep understanding and a global perspective in medicine.
The MD program is seven year long including 1 year of social service and covers core courses such as Anatomy, Embryology and Physiology, among others. Additionally, we offer a variety of elective subjects, allowing students to tailor their education and prepare them to lead the changes in 21st-century healthcare.
Schools of Medicine in Mexico by “El Universal”.
The Medical Doctor Program is certified by the Mexican Council for the Accreditation of Medical Education.
Outstanding clinical opportunities available nationally and internationally.
The Medical Doctor program is certified by the Interinstitutional Committee for Higher Education Evaluation.
Clinical Simulation Center certified by the Society in Europe for Simulation applied to medicine.
(Center of Excellence in Medical Sciences and Innovation)
State-of-the-art teaching laboratories equipped with cutting-edge technology.
American Heart Association International Training Center.
Graduating Medical Doctors.
Outperforming the international standard on the STEP exam for pursuing a medical residency in the United States.
In the Medical Doctor Program, we train professionals with a thorough grasp of medicine, offering a broad view of the field. You'll practice medicine with a high level of skill, dedication, and integrity. We equip you to apply clinical knowledge rigorously and scientifically to address a variety of illnesses and aid in patient rehabilitation. Additionally, you'll adeptly and compassionately handle both individual and community health concerns.
We train professionals with a comprehensive understanding of medicine and a broad view of the profession. Our graduates practice with a high level of competence, commitment, and integrity. We effectively equip them to apply clinical knowledge rigorously and scientifically in comprehensive disease management and patient care. Moreover, they are prepared to address individual and community health situations effectively and compassionately.
Our educational approach is grounded in a blend of classroom exposure, self-study, and hands-on clinical practice in real-world settings. Students actively engage in elaborating clinical records, rotations across various medical services, community outreach campaigns, workshops, symposiums, and conferences.
You will apply basic and clinical sciences to diagnose, propose treatments, forecast outcomes, and implement preventive measures in diseases within the purview of general medicine.
You will develop an ethical and responsible professional practice in patient care, positively influencing the community in the implementation of preventive medicine measures.
Our aim is for our graduates to deliver outstanding primary healthcare, identifying situations requiring specialized interventions and actively promoting preventive healthcare measures within the community.
Through its Medical Doctor program, Universidad de Monterrey (UDEM) aims to personalize the journey for aspiring Medical Doctors focused on primary health care, uphold the ethical practice of their profession, and are committed to making a difference through community service.
They will possess a robust foundation in scientific knowledge, medical and research skills, excel in patient relations, and embody a philosophy rooted in responsibility, honesty, and respect, distinguishing them both nationally and internationally.
Our Medical Doctor program aims to train the country's finest general practitioners, recognized both nationally and internationally for their outstanding scientific, academic, and research preparation, as well as their ethical attitudes in professional practice. This will equip them with a competitive edge in the selection processes for national and international postgraduate programs. Achieving this level of training will be possible through a curriculum guided by the latest trends in medical education and care, faculty distinguished by their high academic level and professional experience, the selection of the best national and international students, cutting-edge resources and technology, and strong connections with the most renowned medical schools in the Americas.
Medical Doctor program Official Recognition of the Validity of Studies (RVOE) granted by the Ministry of Public Education dated June 3, 2022, according to Agreement 20220613. Validity effective from June 2022 onwards.
As a prospective candidate for the Medical Doctor program, you should embody:
- A natural affinity and enthusiasm for the sciences.
- The ability to excel both independently and collaboratively.
- A dedication to continual self-improvement.
- A proactive approach to ongoing self-study.
- A strong sense of commitment and compassion.
Becoming a Medical Doctor requires the development of specific professional skills and a comprehensive understanding of various disciplines, including medical emergencies, anatomy, public health, pathology, and medical sciences.
Engaging in a structured educational journey will not only equip you to become a skilled and ethical Medical Doctor but also empower you to make informed and responsible decisions while applying appropriate caregiving techniques.
After completing your training as a Medical Doctor, you will possess crucial knowledge that will distinguish you in the medical field:
- You will be able to recognize signs and symptoms of the most common illnesses and possess the skill to select the best approach for achieving an accurate diagnosis.
- You will use the scientific method and evidence-based medicine to make informed and up-to-date decisions.
- You will comprehend disease prevention strategies, health promotion, and management of public health issues, including the implementation of vaccination campaigns and health education.
- You will be able to design and implement effective treatment plans tailored to individual patient needs, including medication administration, therapies, and follow-up.
- You will demonstrate initiative and dedication to continuous learning and professional development, staying current with advancements in the medical field.
This program is designed to educate healthcare professionals who possess not only competence and knowledge but also the ability to practice with a profound social consciousness and a dedication to continuous improvement.
Upon completion of the Medical Doctor program, you will have developed the following skills:
- You will possess the competence to develop and implement disease prevention strategies and provide timely treatments, based on a commitment to improving public health and community well-being.
- You'll showcase the ability to collaborate effectively within diverse teams, recognizing the need for specialist referrals when necessary, while respecting the boundaries of your professional expertise, and optimizing health outcomes through a collaborative approach.
- You will be able to communicate clearly and effectively with patients, families, and colleagues, facilitating quality medical care and interprofessional collaboration.
- You will be capable of adapting to technological and scientific changes in the medical field and committing to continuous professional development.
Upon completing the Medical Doctor program, you will have developed the following attitudes:
- You will stand out for your ethical principles, professional integrity, and empathy, ensuring the respect and trust of patients and the community.
- You will demonstrate a profound understanding and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of your patients, establishing meaningful and trustworthy connections to provide compassionate and personalized care, both in prevention and treatment of diseases.
- You will work effectively in multidisciplinary teams, recognizing the importance of collaborative work to provide the best possible care to patients.
- You will face the challenges and pressures of the medical environment with determination and adaptability.
- You will maintain an open mindset and a constant willingness to learn and improve, always seeking new opportunities to expand your medical knowledge and skills.
- You will strive for excellence in everything you do, from diagnosing and treating illnesses to patient care and continuous medical education.
- You will demonstrate leadership skills by guiding and motivating other team members, as well as advocating for the well-being of your patients and communities.
Field of work
As a graduate of the Medical Doctor program, you'll be able to pursue a variety of career paths, including:
- General practitioner
- Private practice
- Researcher or teaching faculty
- Hospital and clinic administrator
Furthermore, you will have the option to advance your studies and specialize in fields such as plastic surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, ophthalmology, pediatrics, general surgery, radiology, cardiology, psychiatry, neurology, neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, family medicine, public health, sports medicine, hospital administration, and more.
Live an experience abroad
Have an academic experience abroad for a summer, a semester or a year.See more
Are you an international student?
Discover the programs that UDEM has for you.See more
Do you have doubts about the Medical Doctor program?
We answer all your questions.
The Medical Doctor program studies the fundamental principles of general medicine, focusing on their practical application in diagnosing and treating illnesses, as well as facilitating patient recovery. This program is thoughtfully designed to develop healthcare professionals who can skillfully and ethically address both individual and community health challenges
The Medical Doctor program allows professionals to explore diverse fields like neurology, cardiology, dermatology, psychiatry, sports medicine, among others. Moreover, this profession provides immense personal and professional satisfaction due to its contribution to human health.
The Medical Doctor program at UDEM has a duration of 7 years, including one year of social service. It is a highly comprehensive academic program, which the University of Monterrey has developed in collaboration with experts in the field.
This program aims to train individuals to become professionals with a broad understanding of medicine, a comprehensive vision of the profession, and the willingness to practice with a high level of competence, commitment, and honesty.
In the medical school curriculum, students typically cover a wide range of subjects, including but not limited to Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology among others.
The University of Monterrey offers an excellent curriculum, as its program is designed to allow prospective students to choose the most suitable path to enrich their academic and formative curriculum to the fullest.
When meeting with an advisor to learn more about the Medical Doctor program, you will be able to see an example of its curriculum using a simulator that will allow you to visualize how you could organize your courses."
A medical doctor is capable of providing comprehensive primary care for factors representing health risks, as well as treating the most prevalent conditions in Mexico and the world.
Graduates of the Medical Doctor program are skilled professionals with a deep understanding of medical practices and a strong commitment to have integrity in their practice. They are dedicated to developing innovative solutions, expanding medical knowledge, and using technological advancements to enhance patient care.
As a Medical Doctor you can work in various areas, such as primary care clinics within the healthcare sector, in independent practice, conducting medical research, and even in academia. Additionally, this career provides the foundational knowledge required for postgraduate studies in any medical specialty.
Aspiring Medical Doctors typically demonstrate aptitude in chemistry, biology, and physics, alongside a keen focus on personal growth. Moreover, they often exhibit a passion for the natural sciences, coupled with a strong sense of commitment and solidarity.
During consultations with an advisor to explore the medical doctor program further, you will have the opportunity to review a sample curriculum using a simulator, which will enable you to visualize how you can structure your courses.
Professors of the Vice-Presidency of Health Sciences
Learn about the success stories of our graduates.