As the program with the highest demand at UDEM, our undergraduate degree program in Industrial and Systems Engineering (IIS) offers you the most thorough curriculum in the region, which is taught by faculty who are highly prestigious in the industry. Furthermore, it includes courses in industrial engineering, quality, manufacturing, and logistics.
Exchange programs with the best universities.
Dual-degree programs with American and French universities.
We educate and train professionals who are capable of designing, implementing, and managing productive and administrative systems.
We train you so you can identify current needs, always taking into consideration sustainability within a global context -with support from distinguished professionals in service and continuous improvement-, thus allowing you to develop a sense of innovation and ethical commitment in face of various professional scenarios.
Student Learning Outcomes
- You will identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- You will apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors.
- You will communicate effectively with a range of audiences.
- You will recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
- You will function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- You will develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- You will acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Bachelor of Industrial and Systems Engineering. Recognition of Official Validity of Studies (RVOE) granted by the Mexican Secretariat of Public Education in accordance with agreement 20090917 dated October 8, 2009. Effective as of March 2015.
As a candidate to pursue this program, you must have...
- A commitment to society and an interest in improving your milieu.
- An interest in seeking continuous improvement and an inclination to decision-making.
- A capacity for analysis and a vision.
- A sensitivity to deal with people and a spirit of service.
Upon completion of this program, you will have developed the following knowledge:
- Classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and fluids.
- Mathematics: differential calculus, integral calculus, differential equations, numerical methods, and probability and statistics.
About the supply chain:
- Inventory control, merchandise transport, control and distribution of warehouses and distribution centers, use of inventory control tools such as MRP.
About quality, productivity, and competitiveness:
- Main contributions of quality gurus such as Deming, Juran, and Ishikawa.
- Use of statistical and administrative tools to solve problems, as well as use of methodologies that help companies to improve their quality, productivity, and competitiveness.
About industrial engineering:
- Measuring time and motions of work methods.
- Plant layout design.
About operations management and research:
- Materials management.
- Problem solving.
- Work cells and cellular manufacturing.
- Layout design.
- Reducing preparation time.
About systems engineering:
- Identifying root causes of problems.
- Use of diagrams such as affinity diagrams and current reality tree diagrams, as well as methodologies such as Hall and Checkland’s methodologies.
- Redesigning administrative processes.
About management of human and economic resources:
- Organizational design concepts.
- Systemic vision of the organization.
- Analysis and design of work positions.
- Human resources planning.
- Management of unions and strikes.
- Knowledge of economic engineering.
About management of computer systems:
- Process simulation.
- Programming fundamentals.
- Use of Promodel software for process simulation.
Upon completion of this program, you will have developed the following skills:
- You will improve your oral and written communication skills.
- You will be able to communicate in a second language.
- You will design, implement, and manage the chain supply, taking into consideration its structure, inventories, and transport systems.
- You will manage manufacturing operations, ranging from the physical location and layout of the facilities to the determination of the economic and strategic feasibility of the business.
- You will develop a systemic vision in the organization in order to identify problems, carry out diagnostics, and design and implement solutions, taking into consideration the care of personnel and the environment.
- You will design, implement, and manage methodologies and tools that improve quality, competitiveness, and productivity in organizations.
- You will develop the ability to apply industrial engineering concepts in service companies.
- You will compete in terms of work within an international framework, through theoretical knowledge and the practical experiencing of other cultures, without losing sight of social needs and your commitment to create a better Mexico.
Upon completion of this program, you will have developed the following attitudes:
- Adaptation to change: you will develop a flexible character to achieve goals in face of the continuous change of competitors technologies, in processes, new processes and/or services.
- Community service: through a spirit of service, you will help both the company’s internal community (the workers) as well as the community surrounding the company.
- Social responsibility: you will actively and voluntarily contribute to the social, economic, and environmental improvement of your milieu effected by the company where you work.
- Ethics in your professional performance: you will have moral values whose fundamental purpose will be to seek and try to guarantee the common good.
- A critical assessment of your work: you will assess the outcomes of your work objectively in order to detect areas of opportunity for improvement.
- Leadership: you will master the process of influencing people so that they direct their efforts to the achievement of business goals.
- Critical thinking: you will analyze and assess opinions, statements, outcomes, and changes, both in your professional performance and in your daily life.
- Creativity: thanks to the acquired knowledge (the seven principles of Leonardo da Vinci, tools for entrepreneurs, brainstorming, inverse method, etc.), you will be capable of generating novel, useful ideas.
- Results-oriented: you will always tackle problems and/or projects with the purpose of reaching favorable results.
Field of work
As an IIS graduate, you will be able to work in any type of organization in the productive, manufacturing, financial, governmental, health, educational, and service sectors, or in a professional development area focusing on continuous improvement and the optimization of work systems.
- Robotic applications engineer
- Electronic design engineer
- Automatic control engineer
- Process automation engineer
- Project engineer
- Embedded systems engineer
- Hardware architecture engineer
- Technical support engineer
- Electronics engineer
- Industrial robotics engineer
Live an experience abroad
Have an academic experience abroad for a summer, a semester or a year.See more
Are you an international student?
Discover the programs that UDEM has for you.See more
Learn about the success stories of our graduates.